Bartels, David T.
His experience includes securities and government enforcement litigation, complex commercial litigation, and intellectual property litigation. Mr. Bartels advises corporate directors and defended individuals, companies, underwriters, financial institutions and accounting firms in shareholder class action and derivative lawsuits, merger and acquisition disputes and in proceedings before the Department of Justice, the Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”), the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (“FINRA”) and the Federal Trade Commission (“FTC”).
Mr. Bartels also has been involved with numerous internal investigations in connection with securities, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, and antitrust issues for clients in the technology, healthcare, automotive and financial sectors. In addition, Mr. Bartels has advised political action committees, business entities, and campaign committees on campaign finance, ethics and election law issues. Before starting his own firm, Mr. Bartels spent over three years with a boutique law firm in Orange County focused on high-stakes litigation and business and transactional advice. From 2010 to 2013, Mr. Bartels was with the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, as a senior attorney in the FDIC’s Professional Liability & Financial Crimes Section, where he investigated and pursued potential claims against former officers, directors and professional advisors responsible for significant losses at failed banks. Prior to working for the FDIC, Mr. Bartels worked at large, international law firms, including Fenwick & West LLP and Howrey LLP. Mr. Bartels served in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve from 1990 to 1996.
Mr. Bartels is a 2000 graduate of McGeorge Law School, where he was #1 in his class after his first year and graduated with the Outstanding Scholastic Achievement Award.
- McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific, Sacramento, California
- J.D. - 2000
- Honors: Order of the Coif Outstanding Scholastic Achievement Award
- Honors: Traynor Society
- Honors: Awards: Antitrust, Civil Procedure, Constitutional Law, Criminal Law
- California State University, Long Beach, California
- BA, Political Science - 1994
- U.S. Marine Corps Reserve, 1990 to 1996
- Fenwick & West LLP
- Howrey LLP
Current Employment Position
- Senior Partner
- Civil and Commercial Litigation
- Government Enforcement Actions
- Securities Enforcement Actions
- Transactional and Regulatory Issues
- California, 2000
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court Central District of California